BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 25, 2009

Structure of the Earth: Plasticity Lab


On May 22, Blue Science did a very messy yet interesting lab. This lab was made by cornstarch, water and the option of food coloring. Mixing about 5 teaspoons of cornstarch and 20 milliliters, and the option of the food coloring, the product was hard and had a rubbery texture. This product is in fact a liquid because its like glass. Glass looks like a solid but it actually keeps flowing. When I poked the product, my finger bounced back. Although, when I slowly put my finger in the product, my finger sank in. When the mixture was handled, it just seemed to have melt in my hands. When the mixture is rolled into a ball, it becomes as hard as silly putty. All in all, the Earth's mantle and this lab are similar because both have plasticity. That was the point of this lab.

0 comments: